Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Home Sweet Haiti

I'm back! To say that my trip to Haiti was amazing doesn't even begin to cover it. My team and I flew into Port-Au-Prince early Monday (July 15) morning and spent the night at Pastor Dio's house/orphanage and left for Tricotte (in the mountains, about a 5 hour drive from Port-au-Prince) the next day.





This is where 5 of the eight of us slept. See the teeny tiny bed? Yup, that's mine!


Tricotte is where we stayed, thankfully there was electricity, and running water there. Remoussin, a village 1.5 miles away, is where we built the church and held VBS.






It was the hardest two weeks of my life, and I'm not being dramatic at all. The days were long and hot and labor intensive. We literally moved rocks 8 hours a day, day after day. Plus, taught VBS to the kids in the village. 






All the hard work, the sweat, the sore muscles, the homesickness was completely worth it though. To be able to give the people of Remoussin a building in which to worship was priceless. And to be able to work along side the Haitians, speaking in a mixture of Kriol and English, hearing some of them speak English for the first time, watching them color pictures or learn how to use scissors or a hammer is something that I will never forget. 






It's so easy to forget how fortunate we are to live in the US. Living in Haiti is like stepping back in time. They don't have the latest and greatest cell phones, or cars, or gadgets. The majority of the island doesn't even have electricity, and the average family income is around $300.

This sweet little guy is Gurlin. I had the privilege of teaching him a few words in English. It was so encouraging to see and work along side him everyday.











I'm very blessed to have been able to go on this adventure and I am forever thankful for all the prayers and support from friends and family. This has been an experience that I will never forget and I can't wait to get back to Haiti. God is working wonders in that country and I'm happy that I could be a small part of it.

How great is our God!


1 comment:

  1. I loved seeing the pictures from your trip!
    Y'all did an amazing job! What a great experience.
    I'm proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete